Kindergarten Registration 2020-21
Starting school is an exciting time, for both children and parents. Although exciting, it can also be daunting if you don’t have the information you need. To help, Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) has put together an online toolkit to make the transition as smooth as possible for Woodbridge Farms Elementary families.
When Can My Child Start Kindergarten?
To register for kindergarten in the 2020-21 school year, your child must be five years old on or before Dec. 31, 2020.
What Can You Do to Help Your Child Prepare?
- Arrange play dates
- Play board games
- Taking turns
Set a routine:
- At least a week before school begins, start going to bed at a normal time for a school night. Have your child get up, dressed, and fed the way you expect them to on a school day
Teach the importance of listening:
- Look at who is talking
- Do not interrupt
- Think about what is being said
Show your child the importance of learning, by learning at home:
- Letter play (uppercase, lowercase, sounds)
- Have you child practice printing their name (starting with an uppercase letter, then lowercase)
- Reading with your child and asking them questions about what was read
- Counting (counting aloud to 10, counting up to 10 objects)
- Encourage persistence in a task. Encourage your child to calmly ask for help when they cannot find a solution to a problem
- Leave your child with a trusted adult for a few hours at a time
- Have your child dress themselves when going outside
- Expect your child to clean up when they are finished playing
- Give your child confidence to ask questions. Let them know that it is okay to tell an adult if something is hard to understand
- Sing songs (ABC song, nursery rhymes, days of the week)
- Draw pictures
- Colour pictures
- Trace simple shapes
- Make simple crafts
- Play with play dough
- Use child scissors
- Lace beads
- Play outside (running, jumping, climbing, playing with a ball, skipping, etc.)